How do I know if my son or daughter has AS/Autism?

Please click here to visit our ‘About Aspergers’ page to learn more about Autism and Asperger’s. Remember, most people will have some traits, but the defining factor for autism is that the person has the ‘triad of impairments’ (ie one or more traits from each).

Take A Test

Autism / Asperger’s Quiz >

The AQ Test – Use this quiz to help you determine
if you might need to see a mental health professional for diagnosis
and treatment of Autism or Asperger’s.

Aspie Quiz >

To go directly to the test click on I accept.

The goal of this test is to check for neurodiverse/neurotypical traits in adults. The neurodiversity classification can be used to give a reliable indication of autism spectrum traits prior to eventual diagnosis.

The Ritvo Autism Asperger Diagnostic Scale-Revised (RAADS-R) >

The professional form for a diagnosis – a score over 65 indicates Autistic Spectrum.

How do I get a diagnosis?

The best place to start is by visiting your GP to discuss your concerns. Ask for a suitable referral. Please click on the link below for more information regarding obtaining a diagnosis.

Bolton Autism Diagnostic Pathway >


What is a ‘Statement’?

A ‘Statement of Educational Needs’ is a legal document, put together using information from various sources (eg. educational psychologist, doctor, parent, school, speech therapist, occupational therapist, etc). A Statement is only issued if the person concerned needs extra educational support over and above that of their peers. Please note: Statements are currently being phased out and replaced with an EHC (Education, Health & Care) Plan.

How do I get a Statement/EHC Plan?

You can either ask a school or college to start proceedings or you can request it yourself via your Local Education Department. There is an assessment process that takes several months, so bear this in mind when thinking of applying.

What other help is available locally?

Please click here to visit our ‘Useful Links’ page to find organisations who can be of assistance within your local area.